J-Express forum
September 23, 2019, 10:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: J-Express 2011 released. Download from jexpress.bioinfo.no

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation problem with J-Express 2012  (Read 8467 times)
ebent

View Profile Email
« on: March 14, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »

Hej, when I try to install J-Express 2012 for windows, it seems to install but then I get an error message when I try to open the program: "Could not read the J-Express config file (jexpress.cfg)" and that "the system cannot find the file specified".

Is the 2011 version just as good as 2012? Should I try installing that instead?

Liz
annekristin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »

Dear Liz,

There are some bug fixes in 2012 that are not in 2011, so it would be better if we could get this working for you, although most things are the same between them.

The easiest would perhaps be to install the multiplatform version somewhere you have write access.

For the .exe installed version I am not entirely sure what causes this, as I haven't had this problem when installing it on my computer, but here are some suggestions of what you can try:

When you installed J-Express, did you use an install account that is different from your own account, or did you use your own account? If you used an install account, then the user files will be in the AppData/Roaming folder of the install user, which you probably don't have access to. (AppData is a hidden folder, so you may have to  change the folder settings to show hidden files and folders to see it.)To get access, copy paste the J-Express user folder into somewhere you have access. Then go to the control panel and click on System and then on Advanced system settings. In the Advanced tab of this window you will find a button called Environment Variables. Click on it and edit Jexpressuserdir to the folder where you moved the J-Express user folder.

If you used your own account then the user files, including the jexpress.cfg should be in the AppData folder of your user.  If this file is missing or damaged, you can find a new one here: http://jexpress.bioinfo.no/jexpress.cfg

AK
oleaga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »

The same problem on Windpws 7-64 (Java installed Version 6 Update 31), I was not able to solve. I have installed 2012 version on my personal laptop, so I have full rights over all folders. Replacing jexpress.cfg file did not help. Sad
I have tried 2011 version - the same problem:(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:54:30 PM by oleaga » Logged
oleaga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »

The issue was solved by running the program with administrative reights (Right click-Run with administrative rights).
annekristin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »

Could you try installing the multi platform version and let me know if that works?

Cheers
ebent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

Fixed my installation problem with the supplied file, thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: