J-Express forum
September 23, 2019, 12:06:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: J-Express 2011 released. Download from jexpress.bioinfo.no

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fold change between groups  (Read 15011 times)
MariB

View Profile Email
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »

I am comparing fold change between groups. This should be the ratio between the averages of the two groups I am comparing. However the average and resulting fold change values  (values both given as outputs in Jexpress) are different from the averages I calculate myself. My data are log-transformed. How does Jexpress calculate averages and fold change?

-Mari Bratberg:)
annekristin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

I just checked this and see a problem. I will look into it a bit more, but there may be a bug in the way the Fold Change Viewer is calculating the fold change.

In the mean time you can use e.g. SAM to calculate the fold change. SAM calculates fold change this way:

2^( mean(groupA) - mean(groupB) )
RBE

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

I have a kind of related question. After running SAM I would like to filter my results using SAM selection. For example I would like to set the FDR to be between 0 and 0.05 and fold change to be at least 1.5.  When setting the FDR I get more selected when using 0 to 0.01 than 0 to 0.05, and using the Fold change filter doesn't seem to work at all.
Unable to make selection. See reason below. java.lang.numberformatexception: For input string:"-1,206.533"   Huh
Rolf
HCJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »

I just checked this and see a problem. I will look into it a bit more, but there may be a bug in the way the Fold Change Viewer is calculating the fold change.

In the mean time you can use e.g. SAM to calculate the fold change. SAM calculates fold change this way:

2^( mean(groupA) - mean(groupB) )

Any answers to this problem yet? I am confused as to this problem as well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: